"Red Earth Mother"
Medicine Drum
Janine S. Weber
***
I simply love her!
I have always had a fascination for drums, especially medicine drums. I have had the honor of being part of drum circles, drumbeating on a drum borrowed from someone else. It is a profound experience, powerful. I have witnessed how drums can call eagles from the sky or how the sun breaks a hole through the clouds, around us it's raining. Still, I desired more, I wished to become one with a drum, to be its maker.
BirthRed Earth Mother
J.W.
Red Earth Mother is my secound medicine drum, created with my own hands. My first one I am still in the process of painting its story. My hands were the tools which were used to build Red Earth Mother, to tattoo her skin with ink and paint. But Spirit awakened her, gave her Life. Creating and playing a medicine drum is a powerful craft. Before starting to build a medicine drum, or any kind of sacred Tool, I find it important to ask your Self: Why am I doing this? What do I wish to express through this sacred instrument? Are my intentions for the better of the whole? What is Life asking for? I wished to create a medicine drum which symbolizes Life, Blood, the Heart. Its voice a healing song, cleansing the Heart of the World, of Humanity. The Transformation happens when I hold her towards the Light, her Bloodred skin turns into the color of Love, a sparkling reddish-pink!
Love
Red Earth Mother
J.W.
Having a chosen intention constantly in mind and heart, will allow Spirit to awake the drum during the building process, make it breathe and compose its song. The day Red Earth Mother was created, something happened, something started shifting within my Being. My bones started aching, usually this happens short before I get a cold or flu. My skin was hot, my face was burning and red. I felt quiet within though, no worries, I just let this transformation wash over me, I trusted. Next morning all was fine. A couple days later I was sailing the red waters of the moon, the journey started earlier then expected.
The next few days I allowed my Self to find her a safe spot to rest, to get accustomed to her new home. It was as if a part of my Self was now in this drum looking at me. I recalled how she became to be, how my wish to make a medicine drum allowed her now to be alive. I connect to its body, its Spirit, give my gratitude to the Elk, for offering his skin. To the tree, which name I don't know, I thank you. Beetjuice, earthy, juicy, bloody, healthy rootvegetable, thank you for your colors. And most of all, thank you Spirit for choosing my hands as your tools to express your Message, your Stories.
A point comes when the drum starts talking to me or I start to learn to listen. Images start to appear on her skin, feelings build up in my Heart, a story is being born. I like to turn her around, look at her from different angles, she has many stories to tell. Eventually an image calls repeatedly, that's the starting point. From there I basically let myself be led, from the drum, from spirit. What is being painted is not a subject to question, I just let my hands be the tools. The tracing can go on for days, slowly I start to see a story. The tracing lines transform into symbols, animals, creatures, elements, nature. To let these images become alive I choose a color. I like to keep it simple, usually 1-2 colors plus the white ink.
Tracing
Red Earth Mother
J.W.
All goes smoothly as long as I don't think, but just paint. If I see a bird coming alive, I just let it fly its being. When I start thinking 'How does a bird look like' or 'Are its body proportions correct', then I'm lost and frustrated. So keep the mind quiet and open the heart. Eventually many spirits will appear on her skin, meandering into eachother, weaving a drum of medicine. Can you see any? More to appear later...

A Story begins
Red Earth Mother
J.W.
When I sense to finish? That is a very critical point! I sense to stop when the story already painted, starts to move towards a new story, new images appear calling to be painted. It's hard to let go, to step out of a story, to find 'the End'. I also sense the time to stop when I simply look at her and my heart crys. I'm full of love and gratitude. Then I end the Story. The Drum receives a Name, she puts words into my mouth, the meaning is given, she is alive: 'Red Earth Mother'. She whispers she is a Storyteller. She wishes to listen to Stories of Life, of the World, of Humans fears and joys. She wishes to heal our thoughts of chaos and through her song bring harmony into our hearts.
To let her sing she needs a drum stick. This part is very important! I tried various times to get the right hardness and softness of the beater and finding the right stick. It is amazing the difference between a humming vibrating tune or a low shallow thump. You will know right away when it feels right. Your heart hums with it, I got the shivers and tears swelled into my eyes.
I am now waiting for her garments to be created; feathers, beads, charms, whatever falls into her lap or into my hands. Slowly we will find our melody together, the song of Mother Earths Heart beating. Eventually her womb will be filled with many stories, told by many Beings. These stories she gives birth into the universe, a healingsong, opening doors to other realms, transforming, opening the heart, becoming love. Her Heartbeat beats for Red Earth Mother and all her children.
Red Earth Mother
J.W.
Soon her companion will join her in the Song of Life's Heartbeat, it has a lower tune and a different Element. Red Earth Mother is keeping an eye on it, cheering us on. Awake, awake, let's create a song!
May we let our Hearts beat to the Rhythm of Life!
Janine
What a powerful process, what an beautiful creation.
ReplyDeleteWhat an inspiration, you are.
...such beautiful work
ReplyDeletethe connection we share
to our mother earth and
her nature is revealed
through your gifts...
I am pleased to meet
you and will look forward
to seeing your next projects.
peace-
Love your drum Janine. Mum
ReplyDelete